Høngårdsvej

Høngårdsvej

Friday, February 28, 2014

Winter Break Journal

Tuesday 2/18
It's time for my first vacation of my year in Denmark.  I have no money, so guess where I went. Vejlefjordskolen.  I've realized I have a lot of "second homes," Walla Walla, Vejlefjord, and now Østervrå.  Anyway, I decided to come down here for a few days to see my Walla Walla friends and my little brother Mathias.  I think the kids here feel like I live here, which I'm ok with...I kinda do. Four out of five weekends I've been in Denmark, I've been at Vejlefjord.

I was happy this morning when I got a call from on of the teachers in charge of finding substitutes.  He said that one teacher had the flu and he needed someone for five hours of subbing, thats five hours I get paid for! So with less than an hour to prepare I came to the school building to figure out what I was going to teach to 5th graders for Bible and Danish, and to 8th graders for Danish.

I got through the day just fine, even though I was very nervous going into my first class.  But I was reassured of my career choice by the happy, laughing faces that I met.  They were excited to have an "English teacher" for Danish class.  All of the nervousness melted away the instant they started talking to me, asking my name, where I was from, why I was there...  On my way to my first class I prayed that I'd make it though the day with so little preparation, and He definitely answered my prayer.

That night I went up to the Bible Study in town.  It's the same family that hosted it when I was here two years ago so it was great to see them and they were thrilled at the surprise of me showing up at their door.  It was great to catch up with them over dinner and the meeting.  Then I went to a movie with the guys from my building 2 years ago, we have kept in contact over Facebook since I left and it was just like old times.  It really was great.

Wednesday 2/19
Today I had another 5 hours of teaching. A lot of Danish again, but some math as well.  It's amazing how much better I felt knowing the night before what I would be teaching so I could come prepared.

Thursday 2/20
What a day. I was supposed to take the 8am train to Aalborg to meet some friends and go paint balling.  Well traffic made me miss my train, and because I didn't know if I should take the next train and still make paint balling I waited around the station until after the next train left waiting to hear back from my friend in Aalborg. When we figured that I wouldn't make paint balling anyway I went back to Vejlefjord to sleep a little longer.  I did eventually take a train and arrived in Aalborg around 5 pm.  I knew which bus I had to take, but...this is a little embarrassing, it has been so long since I've taken a bus, I didn't think about getting on the bus going in a certain direction. I knew I had to get on bus number 14, so I did....going the opposite direction.  I didn't realize it until we hit the end of the line, but the bus just turned around.  So eventually I made it to my friends house for some much needed relaxation.

Overall my trip was fantastic and I'm so happy to have friends all over Denmark that I can meet up with on weekends and holidays.


No comments: