Høngårdsvej

Høngårdsvej

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Again, only this time in Spain...

Our second to last day on our Spain trip were going to take a morning train to Segovia. But when the alarm went off, we didn't listen. So we slept in. When we finally got up and ready it was 12:30. Luckily there are more trains in the afternoon for the lazy tourist bunch.
Segovia is a charming little Spanish city with an interetesting twist; one of the most well preserved Roman aqueducts runs right through the middle of the city.

We had a good time exploring the little streets and emerging into the main plaza where massive cathedral commands respect. The girls did a little shopping then we explored the ruins. On top of the wall on one end of the ruins there was an old man. Not just any old man, National Geographic-cover-status old man. I had to get his picture. Of all the times Elmer, our spanish speaker, came in handy on this trip, this was the time I appreciated his skills most. He translated for me that I was a photographer and wanted his picture to capture the essence of Segovia. He didn't buy it. I don't remember a lot of Spanish but I still pick up words. He wasn't going to get in front of my "machine." So my epic picture didn't happen. Instead I took more pictures of the aqueduct with evening sun on it until it was time to head out. But before we went back Madrid I really wanted a picture of this great Roman artifact at night. The problem was: no tripod. So we took a bus to the commercial center of Segovia looking for a camera store. We got off when we saw a large sports store. No luck. But by the time we were done looking around it was time to head back to the train station for our trip back to Madrid. I wasn't going to have time for my night shot. We were told to take bus 'x' to the station. But when we looked at the time table, such a bus didn't exist. So we started walking. I don't know why this trip involved so much walking. We asked a gas station attendant for directions. She laughed and pointed us down a dark roadway that looked like a freeway offramp. With no other option we headed on (sorry mom). There was nothing here. Literally no civilization. When we were sure we were going to miss our train we came around a corner and saw lights. Lots of them. You could say we all shouted for joy, yes you could say that. We made it just in time, the last train anywhere near our price range left in fifteen minutes.

Another adventurous day exploring the world.
This is why I love traveling.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

J--looks like you were getting some of the adventure you were looking for on your school breaks. You're getting adventure and I am getting more gray hair:)
Just don't give me so many I can't cover them OK

Next time you want that "essence" picture. Try money.
You'd be surprised how well that works.

Looking forward to your pics.

Just found myself reading on the VF website regarding the schools fall activities. Read about activity night the SMs planned for the students. It sounds like the kids had a good time.

Anonymous said...

Ok the above is from Mom. I forgot to sign.