Høngårdsvej

Høngårdsvej

Thursday, August 18, 2011

First Trip to the ER *WARNING* A tiny bit graphic

Well, when I first arrived here in Denmark I was told that I would become very familiar with the Danish medical system and the Emergency Room in Vejle.  I was told that students here want to go to the hospital if they sneeze.  So I was ready for kids cryin' wolf trying to get out of class, I was ready for students who felt a little warm to the forehead and wanted ER attention. I wasn't however prepared for the kayaking instructor to smash his finger in the van door.  I had to help him get the door open since he was about to faint.  Once we got his finger out in the open we both looked at the gaping hole that had yet to start bleeding and said, "Oh, that's gonna need a doctor."  But of course since we had just gotten back from kayaking, no one had a phone.  So I ran up to the school and got the mid-80's Volvo and took the poor man to the hospital.  All medical services in Denmark are covered by their insane taxes, so he didn't have to pay a thing (up front anyway) for his 2 hour stay at the hospital.  He was really hoping his finger wasn't broken because he is an avid guitar player and likes his fingers intact.  And the X-ray didn't show any fractures, at least not where he slammed his finger in the door. Turns out, sometime in the past, he doesn't know when, he fractured two of his other fingers.  They have healed fine now, and will cause him no trouble. But how do you fracture, not one but two fingers probably at the same time and not know it?!?

1 comment:

mom said...

I am so glad I knew the story before I read this. The heading could have made your mother faint!