Høngårdsvej

Høngårdsvej

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

My Job...What Is It?

I think I'll take this time to tell the world what exactly it is that I do over here in Denmark.  I'm a student dean! Ok, Jeff, what exactly does that mean.  Honestly I was a little worried when I got the letter from Flemming (my boss) saying that my job was a little bit like a Resident Assistant in the US. Which is exactly what I did last year at WWU.  But after having 2 shifts on duty here at Vejlefjord I realize it involves a little more than your average RA.  "You've only had 2 shifts in 2 weeks!?!," you ask.  There are two types of shifts here at Vejlefjord. You can either be on duty, or you can be the Dean on Duty.  The Dean on Duty has charge of the school for 9 hours between 6:30 and 2:30pm. Each Student Missionary has one of these shifts per week.  Then throughout the week you can just be on duty at various times during the day.
Let me run through a day as Dean on Duty:
6:30 Wake up the 8th & 9th grade students and make sure they are not sick.
7-7:40 Sit in the cafeteria and check that the 8/9 graders come to breakfast.
(Until this point there is one dean in charge of the girls buildings and one in charge of the boys buildings, just to make managing the students a little easier.)
7:45 Go around to the 8-9 grade classes and make sure everyone is in class. If not, we have to go find them, see why they aren't in class. If they say they are 'sick' we send to the wonderful Lise who determine whether to call their bluff or allow them to stay in for the day.
8-2:30 Be at the mercy of the staff....

Usually during that last time slot we are sitting in an office, running errands for the secretary or running kids to doctor/ dentist appointments.

2:30 nap :)

So ya, that is the beef of my job here in Denmark.

We have also started Danish classes this week. So...
Farvel, indtil næste gang

No comments: