Høngårdsvej

Høngårdsvej

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Story Time...

As winter approaches here in the land of the Danes rain is becoming a daily occurrence.  I don't mind, however, it makes for some slippery roads.  About a week ago I took a bus full of kids and went to a church in Århus, an hour north of the school.  One of the girls told me about a tradition they have here at the school.  When a guy gets a girlfriend, he gets thrown in the fjord.  Of course his phone and valuables are removed from his person before this event occurs, but still, the fjord is cold.  So I was told to drive down to the fjord when we got back to school.  As an unknowing, newly Danish driver, I didn't think about the massive rain storm early that morning.  To get to the fjord from the school it is only a matter of driving down a fairly steep hill.  It wasn't until after driving down this "fairly steep hill" that I realized this old Toyota minivan may not have the willpower to return to the school.  So after one of my passengers was soaked we headed back to the van to go back to school.  "Oh, this ground is really sloppy." I said. "That's alright, we can make it."
*Spin, spin, spin...rev, rev, rev.
"Ok maybe you guys need to get out and push."
Well that didn't work. We tried in vain to get our old Toyota RWD van out of the mud.
So we decided that we would wait until morning (hopefully it wouldn't rain that night) so that the ground would be a little drier.  Well, later that night I was informed that the forecast for that night was more rain...lots of it.  I could imagine going down the next morning and seeing the bus floating in the fjord.  So I figured we should probably get the bus up, now.  I went up to the boys dorm and got about 10 guys to go down and get the bus out.  And one of the girls who was in the van earlier had already called her dad. So he came, and drove, and we all pushed.  It was much easier with 10 guys.

Lesson learned. Never drive down to the fjord after rain.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A lesson that will be useful your entire life. Or maybe not. :) Enjoy your blogs Jeff.

Anonymous said...

Still figuring out how to post a comment. So anonymous is me! :) Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeff,
With your mom's help, I managed to log on. So now I can catch-up on reading about your adventures and stay in touch! Yay! Di

Anonymous said...

Oh Jeff, I'm sorry you learned that the hard way. I wish we would have been able to see you in Berlin. Unfortunately we leave the day you arrive. I hope you have as enjoyable time as we did.

Susan H.

Anonymous said...

My oh my!

Anonymous said...

JEFF! this was a funny story, i enjoyed it. Miss you soooo much!
-Holly